Saturday, November 28

Home for the Holiday

First, a big thank you so everyone who has been reading my blog. I really appreciate the support and feedback. It's nice to have friends from abroad weighing in as well. It makes me feel as if you are all near by.

So, I'm home for the holidays. With my family. It's funny; I have an awesome family. We're all close and supportive, but after about fifteen minutes together we all resort to our childhood roles: the bossy oldest, the sarcastic middle and the goofy youngest. And our parents start counting the minutes until we all leave again and the only one left to worry about is the dog. Who is the fourth child and the best loved. He can do no wrong and often finds himself with a new name, such as my brother's, which gives you an idea where we all are on the feeding chain. It's all fun though and relaxing after the stress of these past few weeks. The only missing element, for me at least, is my boyfriend and the proximity of close friends. I wish more were close by, but the older I am, the farther away all my friends move and I receive thanksgiving wishes even from France. This makes me smile of course! No one else in my family has international friends and I often wish I lived abroad myself . . . but I digress.


I made the pumpkin pie successfully, but am still not satisfied enough to post it. However, this morning I made some pumpkin muffins I will gladly share. I hope you try them! And . . . don't forget to send me your favorite holiday treats, both savory and sweet!

Pumpkin Muffins
(Perfect after Thanksgiving with the leftover pumpkin puree)


1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon*
1/4 tsp ground ginger*
1/4 tsp ground cloves*
dash of ground nutmeg*
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
15 oz can of pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

*You can substitute these spices with 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.

Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 350 F. Put liners in muffin cups, or grease with butter and sprinkle with flour.

In a large bowl, stir together with a wooden spoon all dry ingredients, except the chips, until mixed. In a separate bowl, or large measuring cup, combine the puree, oil and eggs with a whisk until smooth. Make a hole in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the puree mixture. Combine with spoon until just mixed; pull from the bottom to ensure the dry ingredients are incorporated. DO NOT over stir or they will be heavy after baking (this is key in all baking). Stir in the chips until just combined.

With a 1/4 cup spoon out the mixture into the muffin tin, until each is 3/4 full. Bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden tooth pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. I always under-estimate by about five minutes the lowest baking time as each oven is different.

Cool in pan on a rack for five minutes and then remove from tin and cool until warm or room temperature. They will stick to the wrappers if still warm.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan! You are awesome, I love you, and your baked gifts will be well appreciated.

    ReplyDelete